Updated: Dec 31, 2019
Plant-based, Vegan, Gluten Free
Black beans are a great source of iron and protein. But more importantly they taste amazing and have an awesome texture. Making them perfect in Bowls (duh!), salads, burritos and ago toast.
I got this recipe from a relative of mine who was originally from Mexico. I’ve adjusted it to make it my own but they are still super flavorful!
@sugatisrael has dry black beans that are sold in most supermarkets in Israel.
- 2 cups of black beans, rinsed and picked over
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- ½ cup crushed tomatoes
- Kosher salt
- Soak the beans in a pot of water overnight. Drain.
- Place black beans in a pot, then add enough water to cover (about 9 cups). Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low, partially cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the beans are just tender, about 3 hours. Spoon off any white foam that collects on the top. Watch that pot doesn’t overflow.
- Add 2 teaspoons salt and the crushed tomatoes. Add the cumin and oregano.
- Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally until the liquid is mostly absorbed, about 45 minutes. Season with salt. Let sit 15 minutes before serving. Should be thick and creamy.