Updated: Dec 31, 2019
Plant-based, Vegan, Gluten Free
I am in love with the fried eggplant they serve at falafel joints!
When I want them apart of any meal at home I bake them bc a I hate the way my house smells when I fry and I hate the way I smell.
How to get the best fried eggplant without actually frying:
- Pre-heat oven time 180c/350f.
- Slice eggplants into 1/2 inch slices
- Lay out eggplant in one layer of a baking tray covered with baking paper.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp of salt and drizzle a 1/4 of a cup of olive oil. Make sure that all the slices get some love. Eggplant is better a bit fried in the oven than steamed. The oil helps this happen.
- Place in oven. Check on the eggplant after 10 minutes. No real cooking happened yet but you might want to flip the eggplant at this point.
- After another 10 minutes check in again. The eggplant should be browned and starting to crisp. Watch that none are starting to burn. Olive oil and eggplant are BFF. So if any of the little guys look dry get them re-acquainted.
- After another 5 minutes remove from oven.
Use these with falafel, in wraps, in bowls, salads. It’s seriously such an easy and yummy way to prepare eggplant.