#vegan #plantbased #glutenfree
Sushi craving got you?!
I think this hits me if not daily then once a week.
If I’d give into this and order every time this hits I’d be out of house and home. So I’ve come up with different hacks to get yourself sushi quickedy slip without out much effort or mess.
My first go to is a sushi bowl which you can check out my how to in my previous posts.
The second way I came up with is this PAN SHEET SUSHI SANDWICH hack. Now you can make real sushi sandwich with all that bite size goodness for you and your family that will last for days. Of when you are hosting!
I got 49 sushi sandwiches out of this. But it depends on your baking sheet size and how you cut them.
So go on, try these. Your sushi tooth will be mooore then satisfied!
- 4 cups of sushi rice (2 for the bottom and 2 for the top)
- 6-8 sheets of seaweed
- 5 cups of cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (thinner then french fries)
- 2-3 avocados, thinly sliced
- Sesame seeds
- Chia seeds
- Green scallions, sliced
other filling ideas:
- roasted red onions
- butternut squash
- tempura veggies
- roasted eggplant
Needs to be tested:
- Cauliflower rice
- Spicy Techina
- Quick Homemade Teriyaki
- Grease a 20cm x 30cm (8-inch x 12-inch) slice pan, line with plastic wrap or baking paper, extending 10cm (4-inches) above sides.
- Heat oven to 180c/350f. Lay sweet potatoes on a baking pan lined with baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil (optional, use water instead), and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake in the oven until very soft but not mushy. Can let brown for extra flavor.
- Put sushi rice in a fine strainer and wash under running water until water runs clear. Don’t skip this step.
- Stovetop: Place 8 cups of water and sushi rice in a pot; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 12 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat; stand covered 10 minutes.
- Oven: Preheat oven 180c/375f. Put sushi rice in a large oven-safe pan. Add 8 cups of water and mix. Cover tightly with tin foil. Cook in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven. Keep covered for 10 minutes. Uncover and fluff the rice.
- Microwave: In a safe microwave bowl with a cover with holes. Place sushi rice and 8 cups of water. Can do in two batches. 2 cups of sushi rice and 4 cups of water. Microwave for 13 minutes. Let sit, covered for 10 minutes. Fluf.
- 1/2 cup of Techina Paste
- 1/4 cup of water
- Juice from 1/2 a Lemon
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp Spicy Paprika (or less)
- Sweet paprika to get to a more orange color (optional)
- 3 Green onions, sliced
- 1 tbsp Date honey
- 1 tbsp Ginger, grated
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce
ASSEMBLE THE PAN SHEET SUSHI
- Line a baking sheet pan with plastic wrap or baking paper. (don’t skip!)
- Split the sushi rice into two bowls to make sure you have enough—each with half of the rice. One half is for the top, and the other half is for the bottom. (can spice with rice vinegar and sugar but I usually skip this)
- Use a large, flat spoon and have a flat plate with water ready. Wet the spoon in the water and press the rice from one of the bowls evenly into the base of the prepared pan. Top with seaweed sheets, so they touch but don’t overlap too much. On top, layout the cucumbers, so they cover the sheets. Then add on the sweet potato and then the avocado. Press down with a spoon or hands. Lay on another layer of seaweed sheets. Press down, so everything sticks together. Spread the other half of the rice over the seaweed. Sprinkle with sesame and chia seeds.
- Cover the pan sheet sushi cake with a layer of plastic wrap or another sheet of baking paper. Place another pan sheet or cutting board on top, so it presses down into the sushi cake. Place a few heavy cans or bottles of water on top of the pan sheet to make sure everything gets pressed together; refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, prepared the Spicy techina by combining all the ingredients in a jar and shaking. Taste and adjust flavor. Do the same for the teriyaki in a separate jar. Shake the teriyaki again before serving or pouring into a dish.
- Remove the top sheet pan but not the paper/plastic wrap. Place a hand on the baking paper top and turn sushi cake out onto a chopping board if large enough or onto a clean counter. Using a very sharp, wet knife, cut into 4cm x 3cm (1½-inch x 1¼-inch) rectangles.
- Layout on a nice tray and top with a dolop of spicy techina and sliced scallions. Serve sushi with soy sauce, spicy techina, and homemade teriyaki.